– Elderly eyewitnesses say the trees that were cut down were 54 years old. They were planted by the hands of prominent personalities of national fame, including the first Prime Minister of Jammu and Kashmir, Abdul Hamid Khan.
– A rift in the Antarctic bed rock as deep as the Grand Canyon is increasing ice melt from the continent, researchers say.
– On July 12, 2012, satellites observed melting on nearly 97 percent of the ice sheet surface.
– Kalimantan was once a lush tropical landscape full of valuable tropical timber. Now forests are gradually being cleared and replaced by palm oil plantations.
– The study suggests that fertilization by atmospheric carbon dioxide is forcing increases in tree cover throughout Africa.