Virtual Poster Session Archive
Earthzine’s Virtual Poster Sessions (VPS) feature student projects, outcomes of conference workshops, and products of programs and organizations.
In this archive, you will find VPSes hosted by Earthzine in collaboration with several organizations.
Since 2011, Earthzine has regularly collaborated with NASA’s DEVELOP National Program to showcase the work of student interns using the VPS platform. Presentations include an impressive array of abstracts, videos, and other presentation formats on applied science projects. Individual and team projects are discussed in a blogging, question-and-answer format that uses Facebook and other social media.
Are you interested in hosting a Virtual Poster Session with Earthzine? For more information, please contact Associate Editor for Education Barbara Hofer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Below is a list of current and past VPSes and related items.
• Winner Announcement: NASA DEVELOP Summer 2016 Virtual Poster Session
• Winner Announcement: NASA DEVELOP Fall 2015 Virtual Poster Session
• Summer 2015: Winner Announcement: NASA Development Summer 2015 VPS
• Spring 2015: Winner and Runner-Up: Spring 2015 VPS
• Fall 2014: Winner and Honorable Mentions: Fall 2014 VPS
• Summer 2014: NASA Develop Summer Virtual Poster Session
• Spring 2014: NASA Spring 2014 Winners Announced
• Fall 2013 – Winning Team Announced: NASA DEVELOP Fall 2013 Virtual Poster Session
• Summer 2013- Science Serving Society: NASA DEVELOP 2013 Virtual Poster Session Winners Announced
• Spring 2013 – Oregon Wildfires, Climate Projects Top Spring DEVELOP VPS
• Fall 2012 – NASA DEVELOP’s Nepal Eco Team Tops Fall 2012 Virtual Poster Session
• Summer 2012 – Winning Team, Runner Up Announced in Summer 2012 NASA DEVELOP Virtual Poster Session
• Spring 2012 – Winning NASA DEVELOP Team Focuses on Health and Air Quality
• Spring 2012 – Colombian Students Shine Spotlight on Societal Benefit Areas
• Fall 2011 – Ecosystems, Wildfires, Disasters Top Third DEVELOP Virtual Poster Session
• Summer 2011 – Earthzine Hosts Second NASA DEVELOP Virtual Poster Session, Awards Prize for Best Overall Project Engagement
• Spring 2011 – Young Scientists Apply NASA Earth Observations to Environmental Issues
A grand prize winner and honorable mentions have been selected in the latest Virtual Poster Session (VPS) by students from NASA’s DEVELOP National Program. The winning project, “Sound the Alarm: Oregon Wildfires Take a Toll on Public Health” was a collaborative effort between six students at Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia.
A grand prize winner and honorable mentions have been selected in the latest Virtual Poster Session (VPS) by students from NASA’s DEVELOP National Program. DEVELOP interns from the United States, Mexico, Colombia, Nepal, India, and Rwanda, conducted 18 projects that focused on topics including monitoring forests for improved conservation and management, mapping flood risk for enhanced disaster mitigation, and remotely sensing water quality measurements for improved stormwater runoff management.
Four 2012 NASA summer intern projects have emerged as the top entries in the University Research Centers (URC) Virtual Poster Session and Symposium (VPSS), from a total of 40 students who submitted posters for the inaugural event.
The Earth Observation Poster Project at St. George’s School in Bogotá, Colombia, began as an in-depth reading initiative with the idea of having 11th grade students (the final year of high school) read about Earth observation technology and participate in an online videoconference with Earthzine Editor-in-Chief Paul Racette to enhance their reading experience.
NASA Applied Sciences’ DEVELOP National Program: Training the Next Generation of Remote Sensing Scientists
DEVELOP is a student training and development program extending NASA Earth science remote sensing research and technology into real world applications. Interns gain experience in utilizing and integrating satellite data for social benefit.